Enjoy a healthier brownie that is easy to make, very chocolatey and gluten-free. I actually found the recipe on the back of the bag of Kirkland Signature Almond Flour from Costco!
It may be shocking to hear that I’ve never actually made brownies from scratch! I’m really not much of a baker and I’ve always just been satisfied with the boxed mixes… especially Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate. (I always replace the oil with applesauce though… does that redeem me?!)
If I was to make brownies from scratch, I would want to use a recipe that is healthier. Most of the recipes I’ve seen call for a 1/2 cup of butter and 1 full cup of sugar. No thanks. Might as well stick to the boxed mix and use my applesauce!
When I was cleaning out my pantry the other day, I discovered a bag of Kirkland Blanched Almond Flour from Costco (that I purchased a few months ago!). When I flipped the bag over I realized there was a recipe for Gluten-Free Almond Brownies! Only 2 tbsp of butter, 1/2 a cup of sugar and a few other simple ingredients… looks great! So, it was time to make brownies from scratch (and finally use the almond flour)!
I followed the recipe on the back of the bag exactly so I may share my results with you!
Most of the ingredients for these brownies were already in my kitchen. The only item I had to pick up was a bag of chocolate chips.
The Wet Ingredients:
The Dry Ingredients
You’ll find a great deal on a 3lb bag of Blanched Almond Flour at Costco. However, if you don’t have access to a Costco, you can also find Blanched Almond Flour at most grocery stores and on Amazon (affiliate link).
Almond Flour is a great alternative to all-purpose and wheat flours for those avoiding gluten (Celiac disease, wheat intolerance, Paleo and Keto diets.) Almond Flour is rich in nutrients, such as Vitamin E, Magnesium and Iron, higher in protein and fiber, and low on the glycemic index, which makes Almond Flour a healthier choice, even if you’re not avoiding gluten.
Also worth mentioning that I was happy to see that Nestle now sells Simply Delicious Organic Dark Chocolate Morsels made with only 3 ingredients: chocolate, sugar and cocoa butter.
Gather together 2 mixing bowls, measuring spoons and cups, an electric beater (affiliate link), whisk, mixing spoon, an 8×8 baking pan, and you’re ready to go!
1. With a stand or hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar then blend in the
egg, almond milk, and vanilla.
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, sea salt, and baking powder.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend with mixer to combine. Stir in chopped almonds (optional) and chocolate chips.
4. Pour batter into a greased 8×8 baking pan and bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes.
5. Cool completely before slicing, serve and enjoy!
At this point, your house will smell like a chocolate paradise! I couldn’t wait to try one! At first glance, I was a little disappointed that the brownies appeared to be on the thin side (3/4 inches tall to be exact). Apparently, that’s to be expected when using Almond Flour. Worth the small sacrifice for a healthier brownie!
At first bite, I was in love! I have found my new go-to brownie recipe! The brownies are crispy along the edges, moist in the middle, very chocolatey (thanks to the chocolate chips), and wonderfully sweet and satisfying. Most importantly, these brownies are family-approved! Nobody could tell that they are gluten-free.
Although I love the crunch and extra nutrition from the chopped almonds… my picky daughter is not a fan. I promised to omit the chopped almonds the next time I bake a batch (which will be very soon, since I have plenty of leftover ingredients)!
The lesson to be learned here… check product packaging for recipes! We search the internet and books for recipes when sometimes they’re right under our noses! Companies are often great resources for awesome recipes! Thanks to Costco for sharing an easy, healthy recipe!
The printable recipe below includes the original ingredients from Kirkland Signature’s Gluten-Free Almond Brownies, with instructions written in my own words.
ALMOND FLOUR BROWNIES
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetend almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup chopped whole natural raw almonds, (optional)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together softened butter and sugar using a hand or stand mixer. Add egg, almond milk and vanilla; continue to blend until combined.
- To a smaller mixing bowl, add almond flour, cocoa powder, sea salt, and baking powder. Use a whisk (or spoon) to combine.
- Add the almond flour mixture to the butter mixture. Blend with hand or stand mixer just until combined.
- Stir in chopped almonds (optional) and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. (A few crumbs on the toothpick are okay. Be careful not to overbake!)
- Remove brownies from oven and cool completely on wire rack. Slice and enjoy. Leftover brownies may be covered and stored at room temperature up to 4 days, then refrigerate or freeze.