Start your day with a healthy breakfast sandwich that is easy to make at home. This simple classic is a constant in my family’s weekly breakfast rotation.
I’m a huge fan of breakfast sandwiches! They’re easy, versatile, portable, and satisfying. Since I love them so much, they have a permanent spot on my weekly breakfast rotation. Every Wednesday is breakfast sandwich day in my house. (I will often make them on Saturday or Sunday too!)
My favorite sandwich is a Classic Egg Sandwich using an English muffin… you know the one McDonalds made famous. But, there’s no need to rely on McDonalds for your breakfast when it’s so easy to make one at home! Give it a try!
An egg sandwich can provide a nutritious start to your day when you choose healthy ingredients like a whole-grain English muffin, a thin slice of cheese, a thin slice of nitrite and nitrate-free deli ham, some veggies (like spinach), and of course, a protein-packed egg.
If you’ve never made an egg sandwich before… start now! It’s so easy and much healthier than picking one up at a fast-food drive-thru or from the freezer aisle of the grocery store. It only takes about 5 minutes…
- Toast an English muffin.
- While the English muffin is toasting you have just enough time to fry an egg. (I spray the pan with just a little bit of Avocado oil.)
- When the egg is done, remove it from the pan and place it on the lightly buttered, toasted English muffin bottom.
- Layer on a slice of cheese, which will immediately start to melt.
- Before adding the ham, warm it up. Use the pan you just cooked the egg in. With the heat turned off, let the ham heat up for about 10 seconds each side, then place it on top of the cheese.
- Top the ham with some fresh spinach leaves.
- Place the top of the English muffin on and Enjoy!
Complete the meal with a side of fruit, like an easy-peel Clementine.
There are plenty of healthy variations. Try whole grain toast or a whole grain bagel, various cheeses, Canadian bacon, bacon or a sausage pattie, baby kale or arugula, and maybe even add a slice of tomato and/or avocado.
My family and I enjoy this sandwich every Wednesday morning. Since it’s so easy, and I always have the ingredients on hand, it usually shows up on one of the weekend days too!
This Classic Egg Sandwich is great for a quick grab and go breakfast. You can even make it ahead, place in a bag or container for later, re-heat in the microwave, and enjoy when you’re ready.
CLASSIC EGG BREAKFAST SANDWICH
- 1 English muffin, toasted and buttered
- 1 egg, fried, (in avocado oil, coconut oil, or butter)
- 1 thin cheese slice
- 1 deli ham slice
- 1 handful spinach, (optional)
- While an English muffin is toasting, fry an egg on the stove-top in a small pan coated with avocado oil, coconut oil, or butter, over medium heat.
- When the egg is cooked to your liking, place it on the bottom of the lightly buttered English muffin. Top with a slice of cheese.
- Use the pan you just cooked the egg in, turn the heat off, and warm the slice of ham for about 10 seconds each side; place on top of the cheese.
- Top the ham with a handful of fresh spinach leaves and the top of the English muffin.