A quick and easy dish perfect for a light breakfast, brunch, or lunch. Add a sweet potato and some melon for a complete and healthy meal!
Frittatas and quiches are two of my favorite ways to enjoy eggs and they’re both easy to make! Quiche is cooked entirely in the oven, whereas, a frittata starts on the stovetop and finishes in the oven. Quiche does win the “hands-off” category (Click here to check out my Crustless Quiche recipe!), but the frittata wins the “on the table quick” category! A frittata can be on the table in less than 25 minutes! Take a look at just how easy this spinach, tomato, and feta frittata is to make and give it a try!
Not only is this dish healthy, quick and easy, but it’s also fairly inexpensive with a short ingredient list! You will need a 10-inch oven-proof skillet that can handle heat up to 400 F. (I’m using The Original Copper Pan non-stick fry pan, which you can find on Amazon [affiliate link] or at Bed Bath & Beyond.)
- Liquid Egg Whites: Nothing against the yolk, but this dish is all about the egg white! Egg whites are higher in protein than the yolk, are fat free, and cholesterol free. Both the yolk and the white contain important vitamins and minerals, so I generally consume the entire egg, but for this recipe I’m taking a break from the yolk! I love the convenience of using a carton of liquid egg whites, which saves you from separating the whites and storing the yolks for some other use. A 16 ounce carton of Pete And Gerry’s Organic Pure Egg Whites is equivalent to 13 large eggs. With a brand like Pete And Gerry’s, the only ingredient is egg whites (be sure to read the food label)!
- Baby Spinach: Spinach is a nutritional powerhouse, so I love to add it to recipes. It’s perfect in an egg dish!
- Tomato: I like to use a plum tomato so the slices are smaller.
- Onion: The onion will impart some much needed flavor to the otherwise bland egg whites.
- Feta Cheese: I love Feta Cheese! A little goes a long way since, to me, it has a strong flavor. It’s generally more cost effective, and tasty, to buy the chunk and crumble it yourself.
- Grapeseed Oil: This mild-flavored oil is perfect for cooking with high heat. If you prefer you can use Avocado or Olive oil instead.
On the side…
- Dr. Praeger’s Sweet Potato Hash Browns: These hash browns are awesome! I’m usually not a fan of hash browns, but this version had me at “sweet potato”! They’re conveniently packaged in 4 packs of 2 and you just heat them in the microwave for 60 seconds. The ingredient list consists of “real” foods (as you’d expect from the dr. Praeger’s brand). They’re a perfect side to any egg dish! Find them in your grocer’s frozen section. You could also opt to bake or microwave a small sweet potato, adding just a touch of butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Honeydew Melon: Pick up a pre-cut package of melon, or any favorite fruit, to round out the meal.
Making The Frittata
Chop half of a small onion, sauté the onion in a tablespoon of oil, add 4 cups of spinach, stir and cook the spinach, then pour on the liquid egg whites! You’ll need to lift the sides of the egg, as the bottom cooks, to allow some of the raw egg to flow to the bottom. Once the bottom of the eggs are cooked, top with the tomato slices, salt and pepper, crumbled feta, and finish cooking in the oven for about 8 minutes.
The whole process takes about 20-25 minutes. A bit more time than just scrambling up some eggs, but well worth it, especially if you want to serve a dish with a more refined look than an egg scramble. The frittata should slide off the non-stick pan and onto a serving platter with total ease.
A frittata is perfect when you’re craving something light and healthy for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even dinner! Adding a sweet potato (or sweet potato hashbrowns), plus some fruit, hits the mark and rounds out this satisfying, delicious meal!
EGG WHITE FRITTATA WITH SPINACH, TOMATO AND FETA
- 1 tbsp grapeseed, avocado or olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 16 oz container liquid egg whites (or whites from 13 eggs)
- 1 medium plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch oven proof skillet over Medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender and slightly caramelized; about 5 minutes.
- Add the baby spinach, continuing to stir, until wilted; about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the egg whites over the onion and spinach and cook, about 8-10 minutes, until the bottom is set. While cooking, lift the sides of the egg slightly to allow some of the raw egg to flow down to the bottom.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and place tomato slices on top of the egg mixture. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. Top evenly with crumbled feta cheese.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the eggs are cooked through; about 8 minutes.
- Using an oven mitt, remove the skillet from the oven. The frittata should easily slide onto a serving plate. Serve immediately.