This seasonal sandwich is so easy to prepare! Pick up a container of cranberry relish from your favorite grocery store, plus a few more ingredients, assemble, and enjoy as a healthy, yummy lunch at home or to-go.
I look forward to making this sandwich every December when the Cranberry Orange Relish from my local grocer is available! I know a Cranberry Turkey Sandwich is nothing new… lots of people have their own version of a sandwich such as this that they enjoy with leftovers after Thanksgiving. I’ve seen versions with stuffing, bacon and even mashed potatoes. Lot’s of restaurants offer them too. (Earl of Sandwich offers a Holiday Turkey sandwich which I waited in line 1 hour for last December! It’s good, but it’s 740 calories!)
Since this blog is all about sharing the quick, easy and healthy foods that my family and I eat, it would be remiss of me if I did not share this sandwich! It’s very simple (because that’s the way I roll!). It’s pretty darn healthy and low on calories. And it’s definitely quick!
I make this Cranberry Turkey Sandwich for lunch at least 2-3 times a week until I run out of Cranberry Orange Relish or the store stops selling it! Everyone in my family loves it, except for my daughter (she sticks to her boring ham and cheese).
Just 6 ingredients, most of which you may already buy on a weekly basis! The special touches include the Cranberry Orange Relish and the Smoked Gruyere Cheese.
- Whole Grain Bread: Any type of bread will work, but I like to stick to a healthy, low calorie bread such as Dave’s Thin-Sliced Killer Bread.
- Mayo: I’ve been loving Avocado Oil Mayo lately!
- Organic Baby Spinach: Spinach is one of the highest ranked for pesticide use, so I like to stick to Organic.
- Boars Head Lower Sodium Skinless Turkey Breast: This is the deli turkey that I buy weekly. Deli meats are notorious for being very high in sodium and preservatives, so choosing lower-sodium is ideal.
- Boars Head Smoked Gruyere: The smokey flavor of this cheese pairs perfectly with the turkey and cranberry.
- Cranberry Orange Relish: The key ingredient! Without it, this would just be a regular turkey and cheese sandwich! Hopefully, a version of this is available at a local grocer near you. My local Publix offers it starting in November until the end of December. Have some homemade cranberry relish hanging around? That would be even better!
- Bonus Side Dish: A large organic apple. I like to serve half an apple with each sandwich. Slice ahead of time and toss with some lemon juice. (I keep bottled lemon juice on hand for this purpose.)
It’s a sandwich… so it’s a no-brainer! I will add that I like to toast the bread first if I’m going to eat it right away. I also prefer to add the relish last, right on top of the turkey. It will be yummy any way you make it!
Pack It To-Go
This is the go-to turkey sandwich that I make for lunch 2-3 times per week in December. Since everyone is at school or work I have to pack it to go. It transports perfectly in my favorite bento-style lunch box: Easy Lunchboxes (affiliate link). Preserve the apple slices in lemon juice or buy pre-sliced apples. Add a side of nuts, like pistachios, and enjoy! Be sure to pack a few extra napkins… it can get a little messy if the relish drips!
Check out my Lunch Rotation for healthy, quick and easy ideas to get you through the week!
This is a no-recipe, no-cook, kind of meal! However, I’m still providing a shopping list/ instructions that you can print and store in a folder or binder for convenient reference. Your Welcome!
QUICK CRANBERRY TURKEY SANDWICH
- 1 loaf whole grain bread
- 1 jar mayo
- 1 pkg. organic baby spinach
- 1 lb Boars Head Lower Sodium Skinless Turkey Breast, sliced thin
- 1/3 lb Boars Head Smoked Gruyere Cheese, sliced thin
- 1 pkg prepared Cranberry Orange Relish
- apple or apple slices, to serve on the side
- If desired, toast 2 slices of bread.
- Spread Mayo on the inside of both slices of bread.
- On top of 1st slice of bread layer spinach, cheese, turkey, cranberry relish, and 2nd slice of bread.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the sandwich in half and enjoy. Serve with 1/2 a large apple or apple slices.