This light salad will hit the spot when you’re craving a taste of summer! Mixed greens, fruit and goat cheese, tossed with a light dressing, can actually be enjoyed any time of the year for lunch or dinner.
This Summer Salad is one of my most favorite salads! It is similar to a salad I used to get from a restaurant that is no longer in business. I used to always order it. It had pretty much the same ingredients as my version except they used romaine lettuce, mandarin oranges, gorgonzola cheese, and candied pecans. I’d say my version scores more points for better nutrition and less added sugar, plus I think it tastes better!
Only 7 simple ingredients, plus a few more to make a homemade dressing…
I always try to buy organic when it comes to lettuce and apples because they are sprayed heavily with pesticides. Organic berries are generally very expensive so I usually buy conventional, but both the organic blueberries and strawberries were on sale, so you bet I stocked up!
- Organic Super Greens: Organic Girl makes a mix that I love… swiss chard, tatsoi (a Chinese mustard green), arugula, and spinach. The tender greens pair so well with the fruit and cheese. Feel free to use romaine instead.
- Strawberries: Since strawberries are generally available year-round, I tend to buy them all the time. Without a doubt, they are my favorite berry!
- Blueberries: Another favorite berry! This antioxidant superfood is low in calories and high in nutrients.
- Apple: Another fruit I enjoy year-round… always in my fridge! Toss sliced apples with a little lemon or lime juice to keep from turning brown.
- Easy-Peel Clementine: This fruit is an excellent source of Vitamin C and I love the juiciness it adds to each bite.
- Goat Cheese: Always try to buy a goat cheese log instead of crumbles… the flavor and texture are so much better.
- Sunflower Seeds: A great source of many minerals, this seed is perfect for adding a little crunch to salads. Sunflower seeds are a staple in my pantry.
I like to make a Honey Lime Dressing to drizzle on this salad. It’s simple, clean and pairs so well with the fruit and greens. To
In general, salads are easy and quick to prepare. The only labor involved for this one is peeling and segmenting the orange, slicing the strawberries, slicing the apple into small bites and tossing with lemon or lime juice, and crumbling the goat cheese. 10 minutes tops! Add 2 more minutes to make the dressing and you’re ready to dig in!
On The Side
I like to pair this salad with a side of crackers. Low Sodium Triscuits are a great choice… 6 crackers in a serving.
This Simple Summer Salad is so colorful… which is a sign of a healthy plate of food! (Eat the rainbow!) Prepare one large salad to serve family-style or prepare individual servings.
Perfect for lunch… prepare ahead and store in a container to grab and go. The fiber from the fruit,
Enjoy this healthy salad when you’re craving something light and fruity during the summer months! But it’s so tasty, you’ll want to eat it all year long!
SIMPLE SUMMER SALAD
- 1 5 oz container organic super greens
- 8-10 large strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries, rinsed
- 1 small organic apple, rinsed, sliced into small bites and tossed with lemon or lime juice to prevent browning
- 1 easy-peel clementine or mandarin orange, peeled and segmented
- 2 oz fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
Honey Lime Dressing
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare salad ingredients above. Place greens in a large bowl (family style) or on individual plates or bowls. Top with strawberries, blueberries, apple, oranges, goat cheese and sunflower seeds.
- For Honey Lime Dressing, in a small bowl, whisk evoo, lime juice, honey, salt, and pepper. Serve dressing on the side and drizzle on salad just before eating. Store leftover dressing in fridge for up to a week.