Layers of fresh strawberries sweetened with a touch of strawberry jam, chocolate granola, and creamy, immunity-boosting yogurt. So simple, yet so satisfying!
A yogurt parfait sounds and looks fancy, but is anything but fancy! You trick yourself by putting it in a “fancy” glass so it looks pretty… but it’s really just layers of yogurt, fruit and granola. It couldn’t be any simpler! Yet, do you ever make yourself one?
For convenience you may just pick up a yogurt mixture from the “aisle of a million yogurts” at the grocery store (which are mostly full of too much sugar), or you may grab a pre-made parfait from the store or even McDonalds (again, too much sugar).
With just a few minutes, and a few ingredients, you can easily make your own… healthier, cheaper, tastier, and even prettier! Make it ahead for breakfast or snack time.
You’ll need the same amount of ingredients as in the name… 4!
- Fresh Strawberries: Strawberries are a great source of Vitamin C, Manganese, Folate, Potassium, and Fiber and are fairly low on the glycemic index.
- Strawberry Jam: Find a jam with clean ingredients that is low in sugar. The jam will add a little touch of sweetness to the parfait.
- Chocolate Granola: I could eat this by the handful, but since granola is usually high in calories, I find it’s best to use just a little bit as a topping, like in a parfait. Beware of granola that is loaded with sugar and junk. The Dark Chocolate Strawberry Superfood Granola from Purely Elizabeth is full of good for you ingredients like coconut oil, sunflower seeds, quinoa flakes, cacao powder, chia seeds, and more.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: Always buy plain yogurt because the sugar content is significantly less. Greek yogurt is a great source of Protein, Calcium, Vitamin B-12, and Probiotics (which boost your immunity).
Minimal prep… the way I like it! Simply rinse the strawberries, chop them up, add a couple tablespoons of jam, stir, and let sit for about 5 minutes while you get everything else ready (glasses, yogurt, granola).
Allowing the berries to sit at room temperature for 5- 10 minutes helps to release the juices. If you prefer your berries “au naturale”, skip the strawberry jam.
Of course you could just spoon some yogurt into a bowl, top with berries and granola, and enjoy just like that! But, why not make it “pretty” by layering the ingredients in a fancy glass…
The best thing about a yogurt parfait is you can easily make it ahead of time. In fact, I actually think it tastes even better because the granola is softer and the fruit has time to soak into the yogurt.
Invest in some containers with lids like the ones I use from Amazon (affiliate link). Mason jars would also work great. Just be aware of the size… 8 oz is perfect as a snack, as a side with breakfast, or post-workout. A larger glass (10-12 oz) makes a satisfying meal on its own.
Layer the parfait ingredients into the containers, cover, refrigerate, grab, and enjoy for a quick breakfast or snack or pack it to-go!
Making a Parfait is one of the best ways to enjoy healthy, nutrient-packed yogurt! Use a fancy glass, or keep it simple, either way… enjoy!
STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE YOGURT PARFAIT
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam (optional)
- 1 pkg chocolate granola
- 2 lb plain Greek yogurt
- Rinse and chop strawberries; place in a small bowl. Stir in 2 tbsp of strawberry jam. Allow strawberries to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes.
- To five 8 oz cups, evenly distribute about 1/2 the yogurt, 1/2 the strawberry mixture, then 1-2 tbsp of granola. Repeat the layers.
- Enjoy immediately or cover yogurt parfaits with lids or saran wrap. Refrigerate until ready to eat; ideally within 2-3 days.